Friday 24 July 2009

A CLockwork Orange

I have just finished reading Anthony Burgess' book A clockwork Orange. I really enjoyed the language Burgess used as I felt that instead of it being a hurdle to overcome it was instead quite a rewarding puzzle that really made the book. My favourite part was near the end when we are given an explanation of the meaning of the title and its subtle reflection to Alex's journey in the book. I found it interesting the idea of Alex being CLOCKWORK due to his institutionalised, almost robotic state that the reforming process had on him and the natural image of self development through the FRUIT. Together the title reflecting Alex's altered, unnatural change and state.

1 comment:

Steve Broe said...

Anthony Burgess _was_ a master at working with language, you are right. I remember this vividly, though I haven't read CLOCKWORK for decades. I recommend that you try Frank Herbert's DUNE for another story with masterful neologism (new words).

Stay free as you can.

Dr. Steve Broe
http://blog.mycareerimpact.com